Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A little notice please

It must be in the culture. It is something I am completely unequipped to deal with.

I am a planner. I need a plan and I need to stick with it. There is no flexibility, every minute accounted for.

So these things throw me off, spinning in darkness:

We received, after school, notice of a parents meeting. It was tonight at 530. I had less then 2 hours notice to rearrange my evening plans to accommodate this. We did not make it. Davíð was at school and how am I supposed get someone, last minute, to come over and feed the kids dinner and put them to bed? I think this is a little unreasonable.

Birthday Party invitations from classmates arrive 2 days before the party, if we are lucky, but we often have less then 24 hours notice. This is a huge hassle! I want my kids to go to these parties but changing work hours last minute to accommodate shopping, picking up and/or dropping off my son at some location is giving me headaches.

This is why I spend so much time pacing back and forth around the apartment, I want everything to work!

I think I need to relax a little, but when my kids have a party I think 7 days notice is much better.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:23 AM

    I know how that is I have that prolbem to I learned to roll with the punches and play it by ear and always leave 15 minutes with everything this is a great time stragety it enables you to plan for the next task as well to adjust to any changes that may come up....Think of it as Rush hour traffic...T.Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Things have changed a bit. When my kids were in school, we usually got anywhere between 2 and 5 days notice of meetings, and sometimes up to a week for birthday parties, giving parents time to go present shopping and arrange schedules. Perhaps you could speak with the teacher and ask that more notice be given. If a problem is pointed out, they are usually pretty good about trying to reach an accomodation. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete