Sunday, November 12, 2006

Where are the Chinese clothes going?

Xiaohong, from my class mentioned to me that her friend owns a store downtown. This store sells what looks to be like dress cloths from China. They look very Chinese, if that is possible.

Anyways, she told me her friend said that they were very busy and sold a lot of clothing at this store. Then Xiaohong pointed out that she never sees anyone wearing it.

So, where are these clothing going to. Someone is buying them. In fact a lot of people are buying them. But no one is wearing them. Maybe everyone makes the same mistake in buying it then never coming across the right occasion to wear it. Or maybe they only wear them at a certain time of year. I have only been here 5 month's, who knows what happens the other 7.

Could it be that it is the tourists buying them all up. It would explain why I never see people wearing them, but still does not make that much sense. Why would you go to Iceland to buy stuff from China? I admit the clothing in the store are very nice. I might buy some if I was in China.

If I travelled to Iceland on Holidays, I would buy myself an Icelandic sweater made of Icelandic wool. That would be something to mark the trip. But to come home with a nice silk shirt made in China .... seems a little strange.

I am no closer to knowing who is buying all these clothes. Maybe it is a question that was meant to have no answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment