Monday, October 15, 2007

Worst Day Ever

I was working one of my crazy long shifts at the hotel on Saturday.

The evening went by nice and uneventful except for some drunk guy screaming and swearing because I could not understand his mumbled Icelandic at all. I told him there was no room to rent. (not to him at least)

The night shift was a little more problematic, I will start from the beginning.

When I went to close the reception at 11:30 I had 3 guys from Poland drinking beer. They did not seem to understand that they would need to go back to there rooms. I tried English, Icelandic, Hand gestures and pointing, nothing worked. I turned off the lights, they kept drinking. Finally I lead them out the door by the arm.

Then I waited around for my last check in that did not turn up until after midnight. I supposed I could have let the guys with the beer hang out until then, but they really had drunk enough already.

I do to sleep and an woken up by the fire alarm before 3:00. I was so startled I ran out of my sleeping room leaving the master key on the table and locking it in the room.

Usually when the alarm goes off it is just someone smoking, I turn it off and everyone goes back to bed. That night I turn it off, turn around and it starts again. I had no way to go around checking rooms, besides knocking on doors because my key was locked in a room. The reception is FULL of people and the alarm is screaming in our ears.

The first time the fire station called I told them there was no problem. No one had seen a fire and I was sure I could get the alarm off.

I tried but it always turned back on so the second time they called I said they better come down. The guests were all getting a little antsy at this point.

After 30 minutes of this nonsense my boss and a security car turn up (if the building had been on fire it would have been long gone). They check everything out, no fire just a chain smoker who did not get the hint to slow down on the smoking or go outside, even with the alarms going off.

Everyone goes back to bed.

At 5:00 a.m. the buzzer rings, a couple wants to check in. Although it is a very strange time to check in they seemed normal enough so I gave them a room.

5:30 the alarm system starts beeping. I called the room of the people that just checked in and asked them if they were smoking, they said no but they had taken down the smoke detector for some reason (probably planned on smoking) and the system goes off because it lost a sensor. I told them to put it back, they did and that was the end of that.

By the time next shift came at 730 I must have looked really bad because I got the day off with out asking and was told to get some rest.

My head did not stop hurting until this morning.


  1. Marcia3:36 PM

    I'm speechless. Hope you feel better now.

  2. almost better, except when the first alarm went off I fell out of bed and cracked my head on the end table. I thought nothing of it at the time because of the fire alarms, but the next day noticed a nice bump on my bruised green forehead.