I can think of a few good reasons, right now, why you should consider just staying home.
- Unless you are walking, odds are you are creating a huge carbon debt with your trip. That 'cheap airfare' to just pop over somewhere for a weekend has other costs.
- Chances are, when you are on your trip you will consume more then if you would have stayed home.
- You are not a better person or more interesting because you have been to a few places.
- If you really just want to sleep somewhere different, try trading apartments with a friend.
- If you stay home, you can catch up on all those things you just never have time for! Like setting up a greenhouse in your backyard or going to the gym.
- You are not going to learn anything by experiencing another culture for a few days. If you really want the experience, then move there. After a year or so you will get over the culture shock and will really 'experience' the country.
- If you really need a photo with yourself beside some great art or tower, you can always just download a picture of it and copy and paste yourself onto it. It really is just as good.
- There is a reason kids are terrible while travelling, deep down inside they know it is unnecessary.
I could go on, but I think this is enough. It is something that I feel very strongly about and might sound a little harsh.
Remember you can get away from it all without going far - just have an imagination. There is so much so close by.