Monday, July 13, 2009

looting

While cruising barnaland, a place to advertise things you need or need to find a home for, I saw my washing machine for sale.

OK, not mine. Mine is here, but the exact same model with matching dryer. Like mine...

This would not have been a big deal except that these machines are only on the old army base, where I live.

The electricity is different so they don't even work anywhere else, with out a transformer.

And I know the empty buildings are broken into. The guy working at the store told me about a library they found and Stefán has told me about the ghost houses they play in.

So these huge empty apartment complexes are basically asking for it in a ressesion griped country, but that doesn't make it right.

Got a little off topic there,

Anyways, these washers and dryers are being sold dirt cheap, 70 000 kr for the pair. In the store it would be more like 250 000 to 300 000.

I showed Davíð the ad, he called and asked if they were still available and if he could have a look. They said it was no problem and gave him the address.

When he showed up at this huge house with a giant garage he saw the giant garage full of appliances looking exactly like the ones that are supposed to be accross the street. Did I mention these people live next to the base?

The sales women told Davíð where he could get a transformer to get these things to work outside the base. Davíð said he would look into it, then went to the police station.

The base and all the things in it belong to the poeple of Iceland now, not just the few who want to make a few quick bucks.

3 comments:

  1. OK, I think this is just corrupt. The police called back and said its OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michal10:23 PM

    Wow! Different cultures, different ideas of what is appropriate? Or just plain weird?

    I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most people here would not think it was OK. But in a small country it is all about who you know, really.
    It shows when no one has been charged in the banking crisis yet, you can bankrupt the country, take all the money and leave, its OK!

    ReplyDelete