Saturday, September 22, 2007

Changes and Adjustments

Time is flying by - and everyday it seems like something changes.

Stefán's playschool decided on a no toy policy. Before this Stefán brought a toy to school everyday - they all did. Now that they can not bring toys he has improvised. The other day on the playground he takes the insole out of his rubber boot and uses it as his new toy gun. He even took out the other insole and gave it to his best friend Joven so they could shoot each other.

Kasper is growing up so fast it is shocking. It was not that long ago that we would have to plan out his weekend days and what he should do. Now on weekends he gets up, gets dressed, eats and leaves. I have to start calling around for him in the afternoon for him to come home. He is a busy boy, friends to see and things to do. I am happy that I can know he will be safe.

The police in Iceland has just starting fining people for bad behavior downtown at night. It used to be perfectly acceptable to smash your glass or beer bottle where ever you wanted (leaving a street full of glass) and urinate all over the sidewalks and streets (leaving a terrible smell). Now the police will fine you, and people are shocked!

I have made several friends in the last couple weeks, and we all have one funny thing in common: Our Icelandic husbands brought us here. It is funny really, there are a lot of us. I wonder if there is a group of foreign men with Icelandic wives out there hanging out and drinking coffee....

The total number of people you might find sleeping in our house has risen to 6. Agata is back from Poland and my Canadian friend is couch surfing and ends up on ours from time to time. Temporary, she gets a place on October 1. I am still impressed with how many people can live in such little space.

Our new neighbour, with the combination lock on his door is a little scary. I tried to introduce myself to this huge dark haired biker looking guy today and he just stared at me. I was just trying to get things on a good start but maybe he heard me and Davíð busting our guts and taking pictures of his door last night. I just assumed he was not home because it is locked from the outside.

Well this is life and what can I do?

2 comments:

  1. Ko-Leen

    Its normal to feel this way because as we get older things change I already know how you feel I see things at were cheap to buy when we were kids that are now expensive...Or your friends you had in school move on and your left to wonder what your life has become or about to become (I already feel this way when I look back on my years in junior and high school)well its life what can can we do only to gaze into the wonders and depths of our minds...Remember its good to make memory's to harass the kids later in life about what they were like and things they did..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:17 AM

    Yes.. the kids reach a certain age, and it's like one hardly sees them anymore for they are so busy! But it is a good thing when they have friends and activities to keep them happy. :) Then you just have to be concerned when they come home, slump on the couch or their bed and turn morose. Luckily this usually doesn't last long. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear how life has changed so much from when you all first came. Also glad that you are making so many friends. Yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete