Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Cheap Drugs and Labels

Lets start with the cheap drugs because we only get them with the label:

We got two cards in the mail to help with the cost of Kasper's medical expenses.

The first one is yellow, a kind of Congrats. It has been determined that your child is retarded so he is now entitled to a discount on medical treatment, doctors visits and medication. It is not a big discount, but 5% is better then nothing.

The second one we got today is pink. It is a realize your child's medication is very expensive and he needs it so you can have another discount on that. We will see how much cheaper everything is soon enough.

Now with the labels:

Who thinks they have the right to label my son as retarded. I certainly never would have dreamed this. Maybe they call every kid that does not fit the mold and colors the rainbows the wrong colors retarded.

I do not know what to picture when I hear that word, but my 6 year old son is not an option to me.

I have to admit until he started kindergarten, I thought he was a typical boy. His first teacher corrected that one, but she got him help like occupational therapy and a teachers aid.

Kasper has been described as a lot of things including:
Very active
Impulsive
Highly intelligent
Talkative

In fact, most people that know him just say, well that's Kasper! (with a laugh)
And it is, because he is one of a kind, and I am very proud of him.

I am sure he will accomplish anything he wants to in life.

But now he has this label in the system and I do not like it.

They could have just said: Because your son needs extra medical care, or because he needs expensive medication.

They did not need to call him anything.

In fact, why would they not just have the health care free? Or at least automatic subsidies for children. They could do the same with prescriptions, allow generic brands to lower the costs or subsidise everything over a set amount or for everyone under a certain age.

If I was rich (there is no way we can continue to pay full price for his medication) I would take these cards and stuff them up someones ass.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:32 PM

    I hate Labels my self so when I hear them I usually have some fine choice words for people that label others.

    Never in my life have I heard a doctor say that to some one in that way.

    Well all can say is kasper is a typical 6 year old boy no challeges in his way no matter what some one else opinion is as far as I am concerned any one no matter whom they think they are labeling some on is wrong morally and physically wrong..My suggestion for some that labels is take their comments and to shove it up there ass.

    Never believe any one that says your child is not normal.

    Cause really they are normal..I can not see disabilities. I see them as a everyday challenge that we must all get through NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thats my two cents as to what you choose to do with it is your own choice.

    Ko-Leen Keep faith in your self and family and nothing will get you down..


    Tye Kaye

    ReplyDelete