Friday, July 21, 2006

A Place of Our Own

Since our arrival in Iceland we have been looking for a place of our own. The rent is really expensive and there is not much of a market for it because most people buy a place. So, we starting looking for a place to buy.

We found a nice place a few weeks ago and had a bid accepted for 13 million kr. I think this is about 208.000 Canadian, depending on the current exchange rate.

Today we got the news that our mortgage came through and the exchange date will be next Thursday. Everyone is really excited so let me tell you a little about my new house.

First of all, it is actually an apartment. There is 6 other apartments in the same building. If you come in from the front I am in the basement, but if you go around to the back it is ground floor. We have a small back yard that is shared with the other 5 apartments. From the look of it, no one else uses it.

All the flooring is hardwood and the entire place is about 56 meters square. Which according to my calculations is about 184 square feet. I admit it is a little small, but everyone here has a small place so I don't feel bad.

There is a small kitchen with a tiny built in table that can be folded down against the wall. The window looks out into the back yard. The cupboards were all redone last year so it looks great. There is no dishwasher for me and I am not sure if there is enough room for one but we will see about that after.

The bathroom is super small. There is no bath tub but a shower stall instead. I have been told this is very common in Iceland as well. We did find a small bath though, just sitting out in a yard. Davið talked to the people living in the house and they said we could have it, so now it is sitting in Kristina's backyard. I hope it fits. If it does we are hoping to have it put in before we move in. This means I will have to wash my hair with my legs up against the wall. It is a really small tub.

The living room is a decent size and also has windows facing the backyard. It looks very empty right now, being as we have not moved in.

There is also 2 bedrooms with windows facing the road. The larger room is for the boys and the closet size one is for us. The reason for this is because we do not have toys, so we should not need as much space. There is no closets.

The hallway when you first walk in is a circle shape with doors to each of the rooms, except the kitchen and living room, they do not need doors.

The laundry room for the entire building is across the hall. There is one washer and ..... Don't be scared now .... a dryer. There is also clothing lines in the laundry room that look like they are used more then the dryer. I wonder how much of a fight it will be to get my clothing in the washer.

In the attic of the building is storage rooms for everyone and a large shared room that is currently only being used to hang more clothing to dry.

The location is very convenient, right downtown. Across the street from a candy store, only a few blocks to a grocery store, 1 block from the swimming pool, 3 from Kasper's school, 2 from Stefan's playschool and less then half a block from the playground that has the playground program. The school I would like to attend is next to Kasper's.

I will not even need to take a bus!

If anyone would like to visit, although the place is small, there is always room on the chesterfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment