Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Construction

There is some major construction going on in front of Kristina's house. The city is replacing some pipes and I have never seen a construction area like this.

A huge trench is dug out in the middle of the road. Streamers and cones mark the dangerous area. On the weekends I can watch drunk people play in it. On one occasion some guy was hiding in the trench, popping up here and there while his friends through rocks at him and laughed. It looked a little dangerous to me.

The street is blocked off one side with some more cones and ribbon. This only slows the traffic down. Now no one can drive into the area with out first sending someone out of the car to move the cones out of the way. If there is a sign, it gets dragged over too.

Every morning, before the construction can continue people have to walk around and buzz the occupants of the apartment buildings on the street. They have to find the owner of the car that parked in front of the bulldozer. The cars that are parked where they are scheduled to dig that day have to me moved to. This might be a reason why they try block off the area.

The water is being cut off on a regular basis. There seems to be no reason to it. I don't even know until I try to get a glass of water or the dishwasher starts beeping at me. If you ask when there will be water again, no one knows. At least it has not been for more then a few hours at a time.

Next they started to dig up peoples front yards. I asked if the owners knew about this. Kristina was on holidays out of town and I know they just put alot of work into the yard, including flowers. The construction workers had no idea if Kristina knew but said she should have been told. I don't think Kristina knew. At least there was less grass to cut.

After the lawns were dug up they came to the door to ask me about the basement. They wanted to look around for some pipes, I showed them, not seeing a problem. The next thing I knew they had dragged everything out of Kristina's storage room and were drilling holes in the walls for pipes. Inga got really angry with them, it was a disaster. I guess they are replacing some cold water pipes. It is a little strange that no one that lived in building saw this coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment