Monday, December 14, 2009

Louisiana

Only an observation, not a complaint.

Americans often seem to be very sure of everyone else knowing there geography.

I mean if someone from Iceland is asked where they are from, they do not answer: The east fjörds. If they do not say Iceland, no one knows what they are talking about.

When someone asks me where I am from I say Canada. I have tried only saying Saskatchewan, but it only gets blank looks. People often ask, out of politeness, where in Canada, and they still do not know where Saskatchewan is. I think they hope I will say Toronto.

Anyways, whenever I ask an American where they are from, they answer with the state name.

Today I met a guy who said he was from Louisiana.

I do know that this is a state, by chance, but I bet a lot of other people wouldn't.

So why don't they just say: The US?

2 comments:

  1. When English people ask me where I'm from, I assume they already know it's the US because of my accent, so I give a state. Surprisingly, most people DO know a lot about our geography; a lot more than we know theirs, anyway. Also, it saves time, because if I say USA they next have to ask which state.
    Oh, was that a rhetorical question? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe I am just jelous that no one knows anything about Canada, besides Toronto (and that is not even the capital)

    ReplyDelete