Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Are you with us or against us?

There seems to be 2 kinds of parents out there.

(there might actually be a third medium type, but who wants to talk about those?)

Type 1: With the news of a coming baby, start stocking up on soothers (a.k.a. pacifier, snuð or dummie). You know how often they get lost, so you might buy a lot. And you bring it in the hospital bag. These things are as important as diapers.

Type 2: You do not want your baby with a soother. Why forcer something on them? Start a bad habit that will only need to be broken later? Never. Worst thing that could happen with out a soother is they start sucking there thumb, and this they grow out of. It is only natural.

I am parent type 1. I carry spare soothers everywhere I go. I try to force it on Leó. He would rather such his thumb :(

In the hospitals there are two types of midwives to match these parents.

When I had Leó I was told off several times for giving him a soother and at one piont I saw a midwife putting his hand in his mouth for him, helping him out. ,y jaw dropped!

Kristína, my sister in law, had an opposite experience. When her baby cried (from needles) they put sugar on his soother to encourage him to take it.

Two very different ways to do things in hospitals less then an hour away from each other.

When I see babies with a soother, I smile because I know I can relate with the mother on at least one note.

I also notice the slightly evil look from some people when I am giving one to my son.

But I believe breaking a soother habit is easier then breaking a thumb sucking habit, so I will do things my own way.

1 comment:

  1. I was a pacifier mom on my first two, and now I'm not. :-) #3 just wouldn't take it, and so with the rest I didn't try. Only had one thumb sucker so far, and he quit at age 1 1/2. Had one who sucked his tongue til age 3 1/2. That's hard to break! And looks really weird. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete