Monday, August 03, 2009

Lost Skills

A long long time ago we used to memorize the phone numbers we used.

I can still call my high school friends parents, because they have the same number, from memory.

I do not know any of my friends phone numbers now, at least not by memory.

I can do basic math in my head, but I see a lot of people using the calculator on there cell phone to figure out the tax or tip amount.

In grade three they start training children on a calculator.

Most recently I noticed that kids are not learning to tie there shoes anymore. When the kids friends come over, even the older ones, no one can tie there won shoes.

Eight and nine year olds who either will not take the shoes off because they need your help to tie them back on.

Most kids are wearing slip ons or Velcro.

I remember being 5 and not being allowed to leave the chair until I learned this valuable skill.

I guess things are changing, but I have to wonder if this is all for the best.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:32 PM

    What about Respect.... I remember when we were kids you spoke to your elders with respect and you always looked at the person who was talking To you cause if you didn't you learned quick of how to do it.... There is lots of stuff that I see that has changed but no matter how I look at it if I have kids my kids will learn respect and all of the necessary skills of life that I was taught growing up.... I enjoy reading this and was wondering if it was just me who saws these sorts of things well thank you for pointing out that I am not the only one who see this and that you and I live our live the very same way.


    Tye Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do notice:)
    But the boys are not allowed to play with kids who do not listen to me, at least while I am looking. IT is amazing how some act...

    ReplyDelete