Saturday, December 20, 2008

A trip and the beginning of a much needed holiday.

So lets start from the beginning, because I have much to tell.

Before we even left Þórshöfn the road trip of the season started with promise.

We stopped at the gas station to fill up the car and grab some Coke, then off we drove. While heading down the road people were pointing at the car.

The Davíð realized he forgot to take the gas pump nozzle out of our car.

We drove back feeling a little sheepish.

Then in front of half the town, including coworkers and Kasper's teacher, Davíð had to put the gas nozzle back on the hose.

A lot of laughter could be heard.

Lucky for us this happens to other people, somewhere, because there is a safety and gas did not leak everywhere.

Davíð looks forward to going back and hearing jokes about this for the next few months, or until something better happens.

The rest of the drive, taking about 12 hours with a supper stop, was relatively uneventful.

We arrived in mósó in good shape.

After a good sleep we prepared for a busy day in Reykjavík. So many things to do once you actually get to the city.

I realized I managed to lose my phone and am really hoping it turns up because I am lost with out it and do not have any phone numbers on my own. I also managed to miss a lunch date with the girls because I could not remember where it was, I was downtown, and had no phone numbers.

Another great event was the bank adventure, taking up more then a little time.

I have a new account in Þórshöfn with Spronisoðir (this might be spelled wrong). I thought this was the same as Spron in Reykjavík. They have the same symbol, same website - same bank? No.

I have a savings account with no debit card and a visa in plus for spending money. So I wanted to put money onto my visa for Christmas shopping and they could not help me? They said I do no I do not have an account with them. I have to talk to the people in Þórshöfn, because that is my bank.

Stupid stupid banking system.

I called my bank and they did everything over the phone.

I love my town.

I am also proud to be a part of the only bank in Iceland that has money - that's right! The Spron of North East Iceland is not bankrupt. Now why would you put your money anywhere else?

So that was my first day in Reykjavík - mostly spent panicking.

Inga and Rob watched the boys so Davíð and I went out to visit his friends. The look on the faces was worthy of a picture because the last time they saw Davíð he was with Monika so they were very shocked to see me and the girlfriends did not talk to me at all, although they did stare a lot.

There is a poker game Monday night I might go too - although I am also might drink some beer and for the courage to tell someone off if they give me funny looks.

Then again, I am not nearly confrontational enough for that.

Today we went to the mall - the crazy weekend before Christmas mall. Everything has gone up in price. It was too much. We went to Nexas and the kids each get one toy for Christmas.

Stupid worthless Krónur.

At 11-11 we saw a guy getting arrested for stealing a leg of lamb. He looked young so it was a strange site. I always thought that the kind of person who steal would steal a more instant food while the kind of person who would cook a leg of lamb is the kind of person who would pay for it. But I guess this shows how wrong generalizations can be.

Tonight Stefán is sleeping over at his cousins and most likely having the time of his life - Stefán is very impressed by his cousin and spends days planning the time they will have together.

Now I am just watching The Cat in the Hat, in Icelandic, with Inga, Rob, Kasper and Davíð - so I should get back to that.

I love being on holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment