Sunday, October 31, 2010

Flu of Death 2010, and other great (not so great) moments of the week.

Lets start with last Sunday,

We went to Övar's first birthday party, a fabulous event with great food at Stína's. Övar being  Leópolds cousin of nearly the same age. And I forgot the gift at home. To be fair we did stay out with ther inlaws :) the night before, but I should learn to plan a little better. I planned to mail it to her on Monday. We live in different city's.

There was no school on Monday because of Winter holidays. The first day of winter was on Saturday, so I guess we needed a four day weekend, alright. So I go downtown, forget the gift at home again, then I take Kasper to the dentist while forgetting to transfer myself money to pay for the appointment. So I had to call my father in law to borrow 3500 ikr until I could get home. I was feeling a little silly.

That evening I started to feel very very ill, in a violent and disgusting way. A few hours later I was woken up by Stefán, equally ill and even more disgusting. I spent the rest of the night being sick or helping the sick kiddo.

I could hear the phone ringing while I was lying in bed, but there was nothing I could do about it. On Tuesday, I was nearly dead. The violence that came with the illness was gone, but I was drained. I couldnt walk further then 10 steps, Stefán and I spent most of the day sleeping while Leópold got only basic care from me. I even missed sending Kasper to school. It was my fault he slept in and he still has not forgiven me.

I did get him to school, he seemed healthy enough, until he was sent home from after school care and he puked all over the car.

By evening I could see straight, with the help of Poweraide, I assessed the damage. I had to literally shower down and scrub the entire bathroom, terrible. The laundry pile had turned into a mountain over night, it grew eyes, attitude and an awful smell.Kasper slept and slept.

Wednesday - everyone seemed fine. The boys stayed home, relaxing, watching cartoons and napping. I even went on a much needed grocery shopping trip, the house was looking normal again and things were looking up. By evening the boys were bickering, a sure sign of good health, so I made plans for them to go back to school in the morning.

Leópold falls asleep early, then starts throwing up and the scary thing was that he was not even awake while he was being sick. So I was awake all night with the little guy, making sure he didn't choke, cleaning him up, changing his clothing - and he slept through it all. I would rather he was awake and crying, I think, then I would at least see some life in him.

Thursday morning Leópold started to look better, at least he stopped ugly stuff, and was sleeping soundly. I sent the other two off the school. Less then an hour later the school calls, they are sending Kasper home, I guess he has a fever. I must have missed it. Kasper comes home and goes back to sleep. I really thought he was doing better.

Stefán is totally healthy and in school, but I kept Kasper home on Friday. Not taking any more chances. Leopold is better. The laundry is actually caught up. The weekend is looking good. Kasper was even invited out for a sleep over with a friend, but I thought it might not be a good idea. I took them to the library then  out to see this new movie in the theater with pizza at home after. Everyone was happy.

Everything looked normal again on Saturday morning. Cartoons, cereal, coloring, then Kasper fell asleep before lunch. After sleeping 12 hours at night I don't think he needs naps.  He woke up in time for dinner, ate a few bites, and fell back asleep for the rest of the night. Everyone else was fine.

***I should mention that I made homemade chili for the first time, and it was amazing! I'm hooked.

Today is Sunday, Halloween in many parts of the world, and usually a family day around here. The kids and I woke up this morning. Davíð slept in, this is a usual thing so I thought nothing of it, until he started getting really sick. Now he is sick, he has not left the bed all day, with the exception of running to the bathroom and is burning up with a fever. Now being all manly as he is he is refusing medication for the fever or even to call in sick for work tomorrow. Some times I want to shake that guy around. There is no way he is going to work in the morning.

I tried to take the kids to see a show with a hundred model ships but we missed they bus and since there is only 2 buses a day on the weekends that pretty much killed that idea. So we went to the indoor playground instead. It was really nice and everyone had a great time. Then we went home and heard form other kids that the base would be doing the American Halloween thing. I knew they did it last year, it had been a lot of fun, but there was posters advertising it beforehand so I just assumed it would not be happening this year. I was wrong. Keiler sent out emails to everyone living on the base explaining to rules what to expect. Kids were supposed to dress up and go out between 6 and 8 to get candy. Adults were supposed to get decorating the hallways and buy candy. I got the message an hour before the store closed.

Lucky for me I was not the only one dashing to the store at the last minute, so I caught a ride with a friend of Kasper's dad. His name is Stefán. He doesn't speak English. So we went to the store, I grabbed a bunch of candy, and sandwiches for a quick supper (I knew the boys would be in a hurry). Get to the cashier and I forgot my wallet. It was really great. I had to borrow cash from someone who I don't actually know, and who could not understand what I was talking about. But he did it, and I bought the stuff. I did manage to get his banking information out of him and transferred him the money after he dropped me off at home. But I still feel stupid.

The kids dressed up, went out and got candy for the 2 hours they were allowed. It was a great success, especially considering it was a last minute thrown together Halloween. The kids brought home lots of interesting things including several baggies of popcorn, loose candies and marshmallows (things that are OK in Iceland and nowhere else). We even ran out of candy 10 min. early, and I was a little sad because I was looking forward to the leftovers.

Oh well, maybe next year.

5 comments:

  1. Jeez girl, what a week..hugs and admiration headed your way. You are an amazing woman. Do not be so hard on yourself about forgetting things every once in a while. Glad you guys are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez Ko-Leen seems that you have your hands full anyways happy halloween to you all the way from Canada


    Tye

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, no one to give you a helping hand! And, you managed amazingly well. I hope you are all on the mend by now. I'm on flu #2. I guess it's the season... Getting a little boring though being sick for the second consecutive week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Inga, this is terrible news. I can imagine it must be getting boring. I hope you have a good book to get you through and we hope you get better soon! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! Give yourself a break! No wonder you were forgetting stuff with that kind of stuff going on :)

    Hope you're all feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete