Monday, June 14, 2010

It's only 5, and I am ready for bed.

The day started shortly after midnight with a crying baby. He cut his third tooth through on Friday night and the fourth is nearly out - its been a rough few weeks in the teething department.  But after only about an hour of crying, we did go back to sleep.

Next I was expecting an old friend Helgi to come by at 5 in the morning. Strange time I know, he is leaving Iceland this evening but had to drive his girlfriend to the airport this morning and did not see a reason to leave our town after, but it could not be avoided. So I was up, checking the clock and staring at the wall from 5 until 7, wondering if I confused the plans, when I got a message from his girlfriend saying he would not be coming over. She doesn't like me, I get it, but they could have told me before the meeting time, not 2 hours after.

The a get my equally exhausted husband out of bed and try to convince the baby to stop crying again, until after 8.

I do feel bad for Davíð, he is working nearly 12 hours today.

Baby goes back to sleep and so do I, until 9, when Kasper gets up and wakes me up worrying that he will be late for day camp, which starts at 1.

So up again, and the baby is in no better of a mood.

After everyone is dressed fed, and for some, dressed again, we head out to the bakery for a treat before the first day of camp.

**This is a day camp through scouts, Monday to Friday from 1 until 4 for 4 weeks. They plant potatoes and build dog houses.

The weather is horrible, raining, windy, cold, but at least the baby falls asleep in the stroller while we walk to the scouts building.

I should have known something was wrong when at 12:45 there was still no one to be seen. We walked around, double checked the address and knocked on the door until 1:15, the we went to a store and asked the lady at the counter if she had any idea what was going on.

And she did.

This house I was at was the one addressed in the phone book and was a scout building, but it was for regular scouts, they run the summer camps in a little shack, in a field, that you have to get through by cutting through a yard because it is circled by houses. She printed us a map from the computer in the back.

Then we walked there, through the rain and were 45 minutes late, but Kasper got right to planting potatoes.

Next, I took Stefan home on the bus but when we got to our stop the bus door jammed and would not open, so we had to wait 20 minutes while a repair guy came to open the door.

Although I am grateful that I was inside the bus and not outside, and it was kinda funny watching this bus driver kick the door over and over again.

After dropping Stefán off at a friends, changing and feeding Leópold I was off the catch the bus again. I needed to pick up Kasper at 4.

I get on the bus at 315, with assurances from the driver that the door was fixed now, yes they were using the same bus, and then realized this was the Hafnir bus.

A couple times a day my bus takes a huge detour to the next town, making the bus ride about 30 min. longer.

So my careful plan of timing to pick Kasper up was looking gray, then Kasper called me to say they finished early , and I was still on the bus, far away.

So I talked Kasper, who was rather angry that I wasn't there and the weather was so bad, through direction on how to get from his day camp to the bus stop, where we met up, and took the bus home together.

Since I have been home blogged this, done 2 loads of laundry and taken care of the kids.
Now it is 630, I am dead tired and we are eating soup for dinner, with frozen pre made garlic bread.

I need a raise.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, dear! You make my bad day sound fun. :)
    We also have tooth 3 coming in this week. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The fourth on is in, but it is an insissor (at least it looks like it) and the one I thought was coming, between the two on top, is almost in. I think by the end of the week he will be chewing steak! :D

    ReplyDelete