Monday, April 26, 2010

Looks like

The hospital of Reykjanesbær, or the town itself has sold my personal information.

I do not make this accusation lightly, and I admit I could be wrong but this is a more then a little suspicious:

Last fall I had a little (not so little) baby boy. By Christmas I received a new book in the mail on how to be sure that I do not spoil my kids. No big deal, it was free, appeared to be from the town and besides a waste in taxpayers money, harmless.

Then last week I received a personalized flier in my mailbox, congratulating me on my new little boy and would I like to buy him some Disney book? I don't recall letting Disney know of our new addition.

And today I received an envelope, again addressed to me and my baby, from Nestle, full of information on Nestle products that I might like to start giving my son, because he is 6 months old now. Good to know that Nestle is up to speed on my kids milestones? No.

Now I am a little annoyed because these companies are getting rather personal information about me from somewhere, and I worry that it is from a source that I should be able to trust.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:45 PM

    That is completely unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can be pretty sure that the hospital is not leaking information, but those big companies can buy extracts from the National Registry, like "all kids born 2009".
    We always received stuff from Pampers, book clubs, banks, yes and Nestle as well...
    I'm not sure if you can prevent the selling of your data, just call Þjóðskrá and ask, there should be a way (like the red sign in the telephone catalogue).

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, its the government, I guess that makes it OK.
    Actually no, still think its wrong.
    Thanks for the info, I will call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is disgusting but not unbelievable. I too encourage you to protest to Þjóðskrá. Apparently companies are also able to syphon info from the Net, and Facebook is one of their favourite grub-places...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michal10:27 PM

    It happens here in Canada too. We got stuff from companies we don't deal with after Audrey was born. It's a waste of trees, not to mention the money spent trying to convince me I need things I don't need.

    ReplyDelete