Friday, October 03, 2008

Where do I go now?

I admit I could not be anymore confused then I am right now. I do not know how to act, how to feel or what to do.
Everything seems to be trial and error. Crying uncontrollably did not seem to fix everything so that option is ruled out. What now?
A feeling of coldness has filled me know. A part of me that was filled with laughter, hope, and dreams of the future is now black and empty.
So now I am back to one day at a time. Literally. I can not even think as far ahead as tomorrow. Or even tonight.
In the past week I have realized a lot of things.
I am not alone in Iceland. I seem to have collected a rather large group of supportive people. It has really helped just to know I can call. I know I have not called or talked to people as much as I maybe should have, but there is a lot I need to work out for myself.
I do not need Davíð, I used to think I did. I thought we needed each other. This may have been true before, when we met and were married, but it is not now. I guess I have a crazy mother to thank for my lack of real dependency on anyone. Sure it is better not to be in this situation but after everything else in my life I really should have expected nothing less. I am a survivor, this I am sure of.
Everyone has advice for you. It seems like having your husband leave you is similar to having a baby, everyone assumes you do not know everything, so they would no more. I admit I appreciate the listening ears more.

Now this is the hard part. It would be so easy to just hate him, hate her, and spend the rest of my life bitter, angry and wondering what could have happened. But I seem to enjoy torturing myself because I love him to damn much. Instead of being angry when I hear his name, I just want to puke - the stress is killing me. They say what does not kill you will make you stronger, this is a true test of that statement.
For the sake of the kids I am going to stay in Þórshöfn, they deserve some stability right now, in fact they need it. They also need to be able to see there father. For my sake I am staying in Þórshöfn because Davíð is my best friend and I do not think I could handle losing my best friend and my husband in the same week.
I want to work this out. We have a clear plan now. OK, he is not living with me and he is still seeing Monika, but we are going to counselling. Separate at first then together after. If nothing else it will help us work together for the kids, ideally it will help us be the happy couple we had been for years. In April we will reevaluate the situation.
We are doing stuff together with the kids, like swimming and the zoo. It is really important to us that they come out of this as well as possible. I could never really hate Davíð and they should not either.

I am looking forward to going back to town so I can get things organized. I have to admit I look forward to having more space for couchsurfers and making simpler meals. The kids do not mind eating soup, they eat good meals at school.

Thank you - everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment